Tuesday, November 22, 2005

What is Art?


Art is the way we fulfill our mission to develop and express our uniqueness. The daring choice to be an artist or just to practice anything as an art form allows, welcomes, and develops the expression of the uniqueness of the individual.

Conformity leads to degeneration. Comparing ourselves to others, blending in, and imitating leads nowhere. It can only feed the illusion of being accepted and recognized. We conform for fear of rejection, fear of making mistakes. We hide behind what seams to be already approved of and expected. On this path, growth is not possible, only survival.

Art invites growth and becomes an element of society through which the ongoing discovery of life can occur. Allowing oneself to expand through art is allows humanity to expand and develop. How else than through the individual can the whole be altered? When one wants peace, one has to embody peace first. When one wants society to grow in beauty, one has to develop the self through art and faith and share that self with the world.

Art is because it is shared - whether accepted or not, liked or not, whether seductive or repulsive. I personally find Bacon’s work very disturbing, but his unique expression of energy comes through clearly.

I paint the highest expression of life that I can perceive. I translate it into images. Sometimes, I am not able to paint because I don’t have the words and colors for it. Time is needed for integrating into the physical level any perception. It has to sink in and before it can be translated into an artistic language. I don’t always consciously plan what I am illustrating, but a painting gets started when my sprit knows. I paint as I pray and heal. I turn down the volume of my ego and disconnect from my concerns and my ideas. I let the painting happen. I free up the way so that the connection between Spirit and the canvas can be manifested in a beautiful and fulfilling dance.

No comments: